Ready Set Go Check List
READY, SET, GO! A suggested schedule to prepare for JPOS
NOW check out the deadlines in our calendar and get them in your day timer, calendar, smartphone, etc. there are several that occur in advance of this schedule!
10 weeks before: (3rd week of July)
- Submit materials for Portable Salon Promotional Binders
- Submit all publicity materials for JPOS
- Attend map proofing party to verify address and location on map
8 weeks before: (1st week of August)
- Prepare artwork for your postcard/get postcard printed
- Review tax law changes/updates http://www.dor.ma.state.us/ go to Forms and Publications.
- Start with Sales and Use Tax, register with DOR if needed.
- Identify pieces for OS: prep titles, price, medium
- Consider a floater insurance policy to cover damage, theft or loss at show or in transit
6 weeks before (3rd week of August)
- Begin to frame/mount/package/prepare work for display
- Email Save the Date information to fan club
- Update your database / mailing list
- Buy stamps, envelopes; print mailing labels
4 weeks before (last week of August)
- Plan your presentation space, purchase/make display materials, lighting and bulbs,
extension cords: test them!
- Stock up on promotional materials and take aways (postcards, business cards, etc.)
- Stock up on packing materials: paper, bubble wrap, bags, etc.
- Mail your postcards/invitations/save the date notice
- Draft written materials and give to someone else to proofread
- Artist statement
- Price list
- Mail/email list sign up sheet
- Pick up JPOS banners and maps (if you mail maps, write a note and circle your site)
- Deliver work for Juried Show
3 weeks before (1st week of Sept)
- Prepare sales / transaction slips and receipt books (office supply store)
- Schedule volunteer help if needed
- Review packing checklist
- Prepare signage for booth, display or studio and to direct people from nearby
- Complete documentation of work before it's sold (digital images, etc.)
2 weeks before (2nd week of Sept)
- Finalize written materials, make copies
- Paint and patch walls; clean displays if needed
- Email Save the Date postcard
- Purchase snacks/water for public and self (avoid sticky food, provide a waste basket)
1 week before (3rd week of Sept.)
- Empty/clean car if transporting to a group site
- Pack / wrap work for a group site
- Clean studio and clean up clutter - emphasize the work!
- Hang and light work in studio, have someone else look at it too
- Establish physical boundaries to private areas of home or studio
- Plan for kids (and sometimes dogs) in your space - remove low or delicate items
DAY OF (You don't know it by now??)
- Set up early and give yourself plenty of time
- Sit down and rest your feet before the day starts
- Invite your friends and fans to come early and get you started on your pitch, provide
- feedback on your set up, and make sales!
1 week after (week of Oct. 1)
- Celebrate and give yourself a high fi ve!
- Compile list of changes to make for next year
- Follow up with buyers (arrange delivery, write personal thank you notes, etc.)
- Update database / mailing list with guest book and with addresses from buyers checks.
Have a great show and remember to have fun!